Friday 16 January 2015

Yoga for Change - 21 Facts about Shawna

This wednesday, Shawna Philpott returns to lead you through Brandon City Yoga's Yoga for Change- Karma Yoga class, January 21st, 2015 (5:30-6:30pm).

During this playful and heartfelt class we will work on synchronizing our breath with our movements, while strengthening and stretching the entire body creating balance.

Shawna being assisted during Bhujangasana (King Cobra pose) by Teacher Arvind


Get to know Shawna a little better as she shares 21 facts about herself and her practice:

21 Facts about Me:


1. I am the proud Momma of Aker Lee Philpott, who is growing up way too fast and turns 16 months old this week.

2. I am fortunate enough to be married to my best friend, Adam. [Fun fact: The "Lee" in my son's middle name is short for "Leonidas" (Yes, from the movie 300). Leonidas was the name that Adam was dead set on naming Aker-- thankfully we compromised.]

3. I am a dog lover and am the proud Momma of our fur baby Mio.

4. Family is very important to me. I am from a very big extended family and I am one of five children in my immediate family.

5. I am a student at Brandon University currently working on my Education Degree in the two-year after degree program within the Faculty of Education. My dream teaching job would be teaching High School Environmental Science.

6. I am loyal to a fault and I have a big heart that is easily won over.

7. I genuinely love teaching Yoga. There is something so special about empowering students to improve their health and fitness. Helping others to decode poses and witness the breakthroughs make it so rewarding to me. 


8. I love to travel to far away places. The more remote, the better in my books. Some of my fondest memories have been while traveling in Nepal backpacking in the Himalayas and snorkelling in the Indian Ocean off the coast of the Gili Islands in Indonesia.

9. When I was a child, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up my answer would be a Ballet Instructor. 


10. I have never taken any Gymnastics, Ballet or dance classes, and am probably the worst dancer of all time.

11. I was a Basketball player in middle and high school. I had big dreams of playing University Basketball until I tore my ACL during my first high school game in grade 9 on the Junior Varsity team, which resulted in three full years off all sports.

12. I recently placed 15th along side my Partner Kristy Janz at a CrossFit Competition in Winnipeg against some of the most amazing female athletes I have ever seen in real life.

13. I am a notorious "Do-it-yourself-er". One of my hidden talents is Carpentry. This past year my husband and I have renovated two homes and have done much of the work ourselves.

14. I am a coffee-holic. One of my New Years' resolutions was to cut sugar out of my coffee cup, and so far- so good.

15. My favorite Yoga pose to practice also happens to be one that I hated up until a few weeks ago- Kapotasana or Full Camel pose. 


16. If I won the lottery I would take my family on a trip around the world for a full year or more! It is my dream to raise my son as a global citizen. 

17. I look forward to completing a 500 hour Yoga Teacher Training within the next few years. 

18. When I am doing my personal practice I usually take more of a Yin style approach--longer holds and deep breathing-- to gain new flexibility. 

19. I am extremely proud of the community that is growing around Yoga for Change and I look forward to continuing the class over the next few months. 

20. I am an Introvert, or at best I am an Ambivert. Even though it may not appear that way while I'm teaching. On every Multiple Intelligence Survey that I have taken, I consistently come out as highest in Intrapersonal Intelligence. 

21. I am a novice crochetter and amateur knitter. 


Visit the Yoga for Change page for full details 

No comments:

Post a Comment